Butter or oil for greasing the bread tin
240g wholemeal flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
300g mashed bananas (this will be around 3 good medium-sized bananas. Choose very ripe bananas that are going black)
4 tablespoon agave syrup
3 large eggs
150ml natural yogurt
Pinch of salt
Tablespoon each of pumpkin and sunflower seeds (optional)
- Grease a 2lb bread loaf tin with butter or oil and line with baking paper. This sized tin would be approximately 20cm in length, 10cm wide. Turn on the oven to preheat at 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Take a large bowl and mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and the pinch salt.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs before adding the mashed bananas, agave syrup and yoghurt. With a wooden spoon, mix the ingredients well.
- Slowly add the egg and banana mixture to the large bowl of dry ingredients, using the wooden spoon to blend the ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to the bread tin and scatter the seeds evenly across the top of the mixture.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 1 hour 10 minutes – 1 hour 15 minutes, or until the loaf is well risen and a skewer inserted into the centre of the tin comes out clean.
- Once cooked, leave to cool for around 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Serve either toasted with a generous spreading of butter, or simply serve it cold as it comes. Tasty either way, and is lovely washed down with a hot cup of English breakfast or herbal tea.